How the Czech Republic celebrates its democracy

The Human Rights Working Group represents the conscience of AEGEE and brings human rights violations into public notice. Its topics of activities cover Balkan matters, visa issues, immigration, crimes against humanity and more.

Moderator: Forum Admin

How the Czech Republic celebrates its democracy

by freek geurds » 12 Jan 2009 19:11 UTC

Dear people of Aegee,

I received the mondaymail today from our local (Utrecht, The Netherlands) with an invitation from the local from Prague, Czech Republic, to come and celebrate the 20th birthday of the fall of the Iron Curtain. This will be about the victims of 'Stalinism'. Now I dont want to discuss this fragile matter to much because I know my opinion will make a lot of people mad, but I just want to remark that the Czech government is being 'stalinist' themselves as they have banned the Communist Youth Movement of the Czech Republic, so I find it rather ironic that I received this invitation. I guess this is the new form of democracy, ban everything that does not fit in a capitalist society. I dont mind that AEGEE pays attention to the human right violations in former Czechoslovakia, but it would be fair to condemn this ban aswell

Source: http://www.marxist.com/czech-illegalise ... 191006.htm

Regards,

Freek Geurds, member of AEGEE Utrecht and the Communist Youth Movement of the Netherlands (CJB)
freek geurds

by Rene Keijzer » 13 Jan 2009 11:21 UTC

AEGEE is a non political organisation. We can talk about Human Rights, but this seems to be more political then something else.
Rene Keijzer