An idealistic Members’ Manual

“Back in 2003, when I didn’t know about NetCom, when the board of my antenna didn’t have the answers to my questions, I’ve read the Members’ Manual. That was the second best thing I’ve ever done in AEGEE!”, those are the incisive words expressed by Michele Turati on AEGEE forum. Hopefully, a lot of new and old members will find the same inspiration from the new edition of the Members’ Manual, going to be released soon thanks to Nasrin Suleymanli, new Editor-in-Chief.

Never heard this name? Nasrin Suleymanli keeps a low profile, she does not have thousands of Facebook friends, but she is a really active and passionate young woman. Member of AEGEE-Baki since July 2010, people could believe that she has not the sufficient experience and knowledge. However, Nasrin Suleymanli was coordinator of the Human Rights Working Group, member of the Conflict Resolution pillar of the AEGEE-Europe Eastern Partnership Project and Local Events Committee Director in AEGEE-Baki. Her academic curriculum is even more impressive: she got a master in International Relations at Eastern Mediterranean University and started working in this research area. Specifically, she is working in the Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Azerbaijan Republic as an Caucasian expert. She cooperated with several student magazines and currently she is working also with the Academy Journal “Public Administration: Theory and Practice”.

Her enthusiasm towards writing, publication and media, together with the understanding of the power of information brought her to successfully apply as Editor-in-Chief of the Manual. “ Today information policy has influence on the ethnic problem. The mass communication media has had its unique effect on bringing out this conflict (case of South Caucasus), its development, internationalisation and involvement of more powers in this problem. The way of using information is very topical in the worsening of the ethnic problems or providing positive effects on their solving.” Nasrin Suleymanli’s idea is to dedicate the big page to cultural exchange projects contributing to promote mutual understanding and peace.

Just like Michele Turati, also Nasrin Suleymanli read and was impressed by the latest edition of Manual, but she hopes to differentiate her work. She would like to express her own vision and expand the online version, so that all locals can contribute with their ideas. She does not want to anticipate practical details, but we are sure that her experience and commitment will lead to a pleasant surprise!

Together with Nasrin Suleymanli, there will be a great team: “currently we are working on the open call for our new team, which will be divided into manager board and advisory board.” The required roles have not been specified yet, but keep your eyes open… You may be able to contribute to this important publication and get to know this nice girl personally!

Written by Martina Zanero, AEGEE-Torino